Survey: 72% of French People Want Assad to Remain in Power

Survey: 72% of French People Want Assad to Remain in Power
Sun Nov 1, 2015 09:32:08

A recent survey in France has revealed that over two thirds of the French people want the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to remain the president of Syria.

According to the poll carried out by the French newspaper Le Figaro on Thursday, with a sampling of 21,314 French adults, 72 percent of the respondents answered No to the survey question “Should world powers demand Bashar Assad to leave?” while the remaining 28 percent responded Yes to the question.

The survey was conducted ahead of a fresh round of international talks, which started in the Austrian capital Vienna on Friday and is aimed at resolving the ongoing crisis in Syria. This is the third conference of its kind that has tried to end the years-long deadly crisis in the Middle Eastern country.

In a joint statement at the end of the latest round of  the talks, the participants said “substantial differences remain” but it was “imperative to accelerate all diplomatic efforts to end the war.”

The United States has repeatedly demanded that Assad step down, echoing Syria’s foreign-sponsored opposition figures’ stance towards the government in Damascus.

In a Saturday interview with Spanish newspapers, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon reiterated that only Syrian people must be allowed to decide about the future of their incumbent president.

“The future of Assad must be decided by the Syrian people,” Ban stated.

Since the beginning of the foreign-backed crisis in Syria in March 2011, an assortment of militant groups, including the Daesh Takfiri terrorists and the US-backed Free Syrian Army, have been formed in the country with the ultimate goal of overthrowing the Syrian government.

More than 250,000 people have been killed so far in Syria due to the violence perpetrated by terrorists; Press TV reported.


string(2776) "[{"id":"1754597","sort":"3435541","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/30/alalam_635818277877796603_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Iran Rejects It Has Welcomed Assad Step Down"} ,{"id":"1753626","sort":"3435542","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/27/alalam_635815667669466924_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"President Assad: No Syria Initiatives before Terrorism Eradication"} ,{"id":"1752835","sort":"3435543","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/25/alalam_635813719801708156_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Russian Delegation to Syria: President Assad Ready for Early Elections"} ,{"id":"1752934","sort":"3435544","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/25/alalam_635813901607187638_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"President Assad Stresses Continuation of War against Terrorism"} ,{"id":"1752819","sort":"3435545","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/25/alalam_635813684374015459_25f_4x3.mp4","title":"US, Saudi Vow to Boost Terrorist Fighters in Syria against Assad"} ,{"id":"1751874","sort":"3435546","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/22/alalam_635811344112296744_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Washington Slams Moscow ‘Red Carpet Welcome’ for Assad"} ,{"id":"1751385","sort":"3435547","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/21/alalam_635810217146613545_25f_4x3.mp4","title":"Assad Holds Talks With Putin in Moscow + VIDEO"} ,{"id":"1751225","sort":"3435548","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/20/alalam_635809628491164314_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Kissinger: Top Priority Defeat of ISIL Not Assad Ouster"} ,{"id":"1750373","sort":"3435549","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/18/alalam_635807684671948762_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Medvedev: At the Moment Al-Assad the Legitimate Syrian President"} ,{"id":"1749299","sort":"3435550","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/15/alalam_635805286825406196_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"President Assad Hails Iran, Russia’s Support for Syria"} ,{"id":"1745434","sort":"3435551","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/10/04/alalam_635795795976815276_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Assad: Iran-Russia-Syria-Iraq Coalition Should Succeed"} ,{"id":"1743644","sort":"3435552","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/09/29/alalam_635791185749389425_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Russian, US Presidents Fail to Agree on Assad’s Destiny"} ,{"id":"1743695","sort":"3435553","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/09/29/alalam_635791251809870874_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"Russia’s President: Lack of Working with Assad, Big Mistake"} ,{"id":"1742486","sort":"3435554","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/09/25/alalam_635788125410529849_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"US Official: Russia’s Support for Syria’s Assad at Odds with Battle against ISIS"} ,{"id":"1742436","sort":"3435555","contenttypeid":"21","pic":"/2015/09/25/alalam_635788028333971428_25f_4x3.jpg","title":"UK’s Hammond: Assad Must Go but Might Need to Talk to Him"} ]"